The College of Music at Michigan State University looks forward to welcoming a dynamic teacher-scholar to its faculty and, to that end, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-stream Assistant Professor of Music Theory position beginning August 16, 2022.
With 85 faculty members, the Michigan State University College of Music (music.msu.edu) serves approximately 600 majors and offers a comprehensive range of degree programs from baccalaureate through doctorate.
The music theory area (theory.music.msu.edu) consists of seven faculty members and features a vibrant Master’s degree program with 12–15 students enrolled at a time. Research seminars and other advanced coursework, an active colloquium series with three guest scholars per semester, and dedicated faculty mentors equip Master’s students with the analytical, research, musicianship, and pedagogical skills to pursue doctoral study in music theory and to present scholarship while still Master’s students. The Master’s program and a Graduate Certificate in music theory also serve composer-theorists and performer-theorists who go on to successful collegiate teaching careers. Finally, the theory area interacts with nearly every student in the College of Music, including undergraduate majors in performance, music education, jazz studies, and composition, as well as Master’s and Doctoral students in performance, composition, and conducting.
• Develop a national reputation as a scholar by advancing an active agenda of research publications and presentations in the field of music theory
• Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in music theory (a 2 + 3 course load) that serve the needs of music students in a variety of majors
• Advise Master’s students in music theory and serve on advising committees for graduate students throughout the College of Music
• Collaborate with colleagues and students to advance the College of Music’s and music theory area’s missions of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in research and teaching
• Participate in theory-area initiatives such as colloquia, guest-scholar residencies, administration of exams, recruiting, and admissions, and provide service to the college, university, and discipline
• A completed doctorate in music theory by August 16, 2022
• An emerging or established record of scholarly productivity
• Successful university-level teaching experience
• A demonstrated commitment to music theory pedagogy
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
• Demonstrated ability to mentor student research
• Demonstrated ability to teach effectively at multiple levels and in a variety of subjects within our curriculum, including undergraduate core music theory and aural skills; graduate analysis courses on a variety of repertoires and techniques; graduate skills courses such as counterpoint or keyboard skills; and specialized readings seminars and proseminars for Master’s students in music theory
To apply, please visit the MSU job postings website (careers.msu.edu) and select posting #732746 in the faculty/academic staff section, or visit https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/508000/assistant-professortenure-system directly.
Please include the following:
• a letter of application
• three letters of recommendation that attest to the qualifications listed above (to be uploaded separately by recommenders)
• a curriculum vitae that lists contact information for at least two references who are not letter writers
• a 1-page research narrative summarizing primary and any secondary research specializations, short- and longer-term research plans, and titles of two proposed readings seminars for Master’s students in music theory
• a 1- to 2-page teaching narrative outlining goals, priorities, and methods as a music theory pedagogue
Later in the search process, candidates may be asked to submit samples of research, videos and artifacts of teaching, and transcripts. Finalists will be invited to the East Lansing campus to interview.
Please direct any inquiries to:
Chairperson, Music Theory Area and Music Theory Search Committee