The College of Music at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI) seeks an experienced educator and visionary leader to serve as Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research and Creative Endeavors. This is a half-time administrative position that will pair with a half- time appointment in one of the College’s 12 areas.
With approximately 90 faculty members, the Michigan State University College of Music (www.music.msu.edu) serves almost 600 majors, including 285 graduate students, and offers a comprehensive range of degree programs from baccalaureate through doctorate
Specific responsibilities include:
• Serve as a member of the senior leadership team in the College, which works collaboratively on College planning and management.
• Provide administrative leadership for the College’s graduate programs; guide curriculum development; strategically manage the graduate assistant and graduate fellowship budgets to support student recruitment and retention and research and creative activities; and administer the summers-only master’s degree programs
• Serve as liaison to the Graduate School, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation, and other offices across campus to represent the College on issues involving graduate music programs.
• Oversee the College faculty mentoring program.
• Supervise a graduate advisor and an on-call grant writer in support of faculty research and creative activities; co-supervise, with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, the Director of Admissions; co-supervise an associate deans’ administrative assistant.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College.
• Doctoral degree or professional equivalency in an area within the College of Music plus 6 years of full-time college teaching experience.
• A record of teaching and research/creative activities appropriate for appointment at the rank of associate or full professor.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proven ability to collaborate with students, faculty, staff, administration, and external constituencies.
• Demonstrated record of practices and accomplishments that support diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Candidates are asked to submit a current curriculum vitae and a letter of application, outlining how the candidate’s leadership, teaching, scholarly/creative work and/or service have advanced diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
To apply: https://careers.msu.edu/en-us/job/512907/associate-deanmanagement
(Or visit the MSU Careers website (careers.msu.edu) and select posting 825362 in the faculty/academic staff section.)
Review of Applications Begins on December 2, 2022.
For full consideration, applications should be received by December 2, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis until the position is filled or the search is closed. Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting the search committee chair through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age disability or protected veteran status.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty, and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/