With membership in The Society for Music Theory you become part of an organization of music theorists recognized world-wide. The benefits of membership include:
- Subscription to SMT's semiannual print journal, Music Theory Spectrum
- Access to the semiannual Newsletter
- Participation in SMT annual meetings (membership is required for attendance; there is also a conference registration fee)
- Opportunities to serve the Society through committee participation
- Voting privileges in election of officers
- Nominating privileges for various awards and for elections
- Discounts from a variety of journal and book publishers
Your membership dues help support the numerous services offered by SMT, including the online presence, services such as smt-announce, smt-talk, and our electronic journal, Music Theory Online (MTO). Please take a few moments and join SMT.
- Regular Member: $85
- Student Member: $40
- Retired Member: $40
- Joint/Household: $95
- Joint Student: $50
- Joint Retired: $50
- Subsidized: $40 (for those who have completed their studies and whose income is $35,000 USD or less)
How to Join SMT
Join SMT Online
Note: If you are already an SMT member you should have an account - please don't create another account; contact Executive Director Victoria Long (email@example.com) if you are unsure.
- You first create your account on this website, then pay for your membership. To start: click on "create new account" in the upper right hand corner, or else click here. You will be asked to enter a user name and email address. Answer the skill-testing captcha question.
- You will receive an email with a password and address to log in to the site. Follow the link and change your password.
- Then you will be directed to your SMT Profile page. Click on "My profile" and fill in the rest of your information, then click on Join/Renew. Here, click through to PayPal to pay membership dues. You do not have to join PayPal to pay these dues on PayPal. Once your payment has been received by the Executive Director of SMT, you will become a member.
- Once you are a member you can log in to the site by clicking on "Login" in the top right-hand corner (or else simply click here) and have full access to the site.
If you have clicked on a link and been brought to this page, it is because the page you were looking for is only available to registered (and logged-in) members of the site. Registration for the website is the initial step in your membership in SMT!
Join SMT by Mail
If you prefer to mail in a membership form with a check, print the membership form and mail it to the address indicated. You will be notified when your membership is active.
How to Renew your SMT membership
If you haven't logged in to this website, please do so now by clicking "Log in" in the left menu or the upper-right-hand corner, or else by clicking here). When you have logged in, you will be taken to "My SMT Profile." There you will see a couple of tabs -- click on "Join / Renew" and follow directions to renew your membership. You will be sent to Paypal, but, again, you do not have to join to renew your membership.