- Log in
- About SMT
- Annual Meeting
- Boards and committees
- Bylaws, guidelines, and policies
- Call for Papers
- Upcoming Events
- Grants and Awards
- Societies and Interest Groups
- Online Resources
- Special Offers
- MTS at Oxford Journals
Each year SMT sponsors an annual meeting where scholars may present their ongoing research; papers are accepted on a blind-read, competitive basis. In addition, members may participate in special sessions organized by standing committees, such as the Committee on the Status of Women, the Committee on Diversity, and the Professional Development Committee, as well as events organized by SMT Interest Groups. A special workshop for students and a peer learning workshop are also held as part of the annual meeting.
Upcoming Annual Meetings of the SMT
2016: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, November 3–6: co-sponsored with the American Musicological Society
2017: Arlington, Virginia, November 1–5
2018: San Antonio, Texas, November 1–4: co-sponsored with the American Musicological Society
- January 15 SMT conference proposal deadline.
- January 15 SMT subvention grant winter deadline.
- April 1 Deadline for SMT Publication Awards nominations.
- April 1 Deadline for applying for upcoming SMT Graduate Student Workshop.
- April 1 Deadline for applying for upcoming SMT Peer Learning Program.
- June 1 Deadline to submit material for the August SMT Newsletter
- July 15 SMT subvention grant application deadline.
- July 15 Program Budget Subcommittee grant deadline (contact SMT Vice President Daphne Leong for details).
- September 8 Annual Meeting Travel grants and Childcare grant deadline.
- September 8 Program Budget Subcommittee grant application deadline (only if money remains following July grants; contact SMT Vice President Daphne Leong for details).
- December 1 Deadline to submit material for the February SMT Newsletter
Information on the past Annual Meetings of the SMT may be found in the Archive section of this website.
For more information regarding online discussions of selected essays from Music Theory Online, please see MTO webinars page.
For a comprehensive list of other meetings and events that might be of interest to SMT members, see the List of Upcoming Events.