With membership in The Society for Music Theory you become part of an organization of music theorists recognized world-wide. The benefits of membership include:
- Subscription to SMT's semiannual print journal, Music Theory Spectrum
- Access to the semiannual Newsletter
- Participation in SMT annual meetings (membership is required for attendance; there is also a conference registration fee)
- Opportunities to serve the Society through committee participation
- Voting privileges in election of officers
- Nominating privileges for various awards and for elections
- Discounts from a variety of journal and book publishers
Your membership dues help support the numerous services offered by SMT, including our online presence, services such as SMT-announce, Music Theory Online (MTO), and SMT-V. Please take a few moments to join SMT.
|Supported Member (for those who have completed their studies and whose income is $35,000 USD or less)||$45|
|Overseas Member (who is also a member of another professional music society)||$85|
|Joint Student Member||$55|
|Joint Retired Member||$55|
|Joint Overseas Member (who are also members of another professional music society)||$100|
Joint memberships are for two members who share a residence or address.
|2 years||Regular Member||$190|
|3 years||Regular Member||$285|
How to Join SMT
You may join either online or by mail:
Join or Renew your Membership Online
Note: If you are already an SMT member you should have an account. Contact the Executive Director if you are unsure of your account information.
- If you don't have an account, create an account here and follow the process to become a member.
- If you do have an account, sign in here and renew your membership.
For any questions, or if you experience any problems in trying to join, please contact the Executive Director.
Join SMT by Mail
If you prefer to mail in a membership form with a check, print the membership form and mail it to the address indicated. You will be notified when your membership is active.