These awards recognize significant contributions to music theory, analysis, or history of theory.
- The Wallace Berry Award is given for a distinguished book by an author of any age or career stage.
- The Emerging Scholar Award (Book) is given for a book published no more than ten calendar years after the author’s receipt of the Ph.D. (or, in the case of someone who does not hold a Ph.D., before the author reaches the age of forty).
- The Outstanding Publication Award is given for a distinguished article by an author of any age or career stage.
- The Emerging Scholar Award (Article) is given for an article published no more than seven calendar years after the author’s receipt of the Ph.D. (or, in the case of someone who does not hold a Ph.D., before the author reaches the age of forty).
- The Outstanding Multi-Author Collection is given for a distinguished multi-author collection.
- Citations of Special Merit are occasionally awarded for editions, translations, reference works, and other types of publications that are of extraordinary value to the discipline.
The Presidential Award is on pause for 2022 while the Board reconsiders its scope and definition.
To recognize significant contributions to music theory, analysis, or history of theory.
Eligibility extends to books and articles in English published between January 1, 2019, and December 31, 2021. Dissertations are ineligible. Self-published works, including websites, are eligible only for the Citation of Special Merit.
The Publication Awards Committees strongly encourages nominations that reflect diversity.
Please note the following new policies:
- All eligible nominations will be listed on the SMT website.
- Multiple awards may be given in each category.
- Previous winners of a publication award are ineligible to win the same award. However, previous winners of the Multi-Author Collection Award will be eligible to win again if they are part of a different editorial team that includes a co-editor who has not won the award before.
These awards are administered by the Publication Awards Committees. Although each award can be presented in a given year, the Publication Awards Committees, at their discretion, may choose not to present a given award in a particular year.
- To nominate a work for a Publication Award, you must be a member of SMT and logged into the SMT website.
- Self-nominations are welcome, limited to one publication per award.
- Nominators should provide their own names and e-mail addresses, as well as the complete bibliographic information for each nominated work.
- All members of the society are encouraged to draw the Award Committee's attention to distinctive publications that are eligible for awards.
- PDF files of nominated articles would be appreciated.
For specific questions, please contact Jennifer Diaz.