- Log in
- About SMT
- Annual Meeting
- Boards and committees
- Bylaws, guidelines, and policies
- Call for Proposals
- Upcoming Events
- Grants and Awards
- Societies and Interest Groups
- Online Resources
- Special Offers
- MTS at Oxford Journals
Through financial resources provided by donors and members, the SMT is able to make available a number of awards and grants. These include:
- Awards that recognize outstanding publications within the field of music theory
- Subventions to support scholarly projects that advance the discipline, such as publications, conferences and workshops, and other such projects.
- SMT-40 Dissertation Fellowship. This yearly award, made possible by the SMT-40 campaign, is intended to recognize and foster excellent research in music theory by helping highly qualified Ph.D. students to complete their dissertations.
- Grants to support travel to Annual Meetings for theorists belonging to ethnic minorities, theorists who
reside outside the United States and Canada, independent or unsupported scholars, and theorists needing assistance with childcare.
- Annual Meeting Grants Subcommittee grants to Interest Groups and Standing Committees for events associated with the Annual Meeting.
We also provide a list of other grants and awards that are not sponsored by the SMT, but that might be of interest to SMT members.