Theorists who belong to an ethnic minority (defined here on the basis of the majority of current SMT members) and who are citizens of, or are currently residing in, the US or Canada are invited to apply for Minority Travel Grants. We recognize that the virtual format of the 2020 conference and the far-reaching impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic may result in unexpected difficulties and challenges for conference attendees. The primary intent of these grants in 2020 is to waive the conference registration fee for grant recipients.
The SMT Committee on Race and Ethnicity administers the Minority Travel Grant to encourage diversity at the Annual Meetings of the SMT.
This grant is made possible in part by donations from the SMT-Forward campaign.
For a list of past Travel Grant winners since 2002, see the Past Recipients of SMT Travel Grants page.
- Applicants need not be SMT members.
- Preference will be given to students and junior faculty (in that order).
- Financial need and research interests within the field of music theory will be used to evaluate the applications.
- Only those who are citizens of, or are currently residing in, the US or Canada are eligible.
- Individuals who self-identify with a race or ethnicity other than 'White' are eligible to apply.
Typically up to 7 grants are made, with a maximum award of $400. Note that for the 2020 virtual conference, the typical award will be the registration fee, and we anticipate awarding far more grants than in previous years.
*Please note that the 2020 application deadline has passed.
You may fill out the online application form, but you’ll need to create an account if you don’t already have one.
Applicants are asked to provide the following information whether submitting a grant application online or via PDF:
- name, address, telephone, e-mail, and academic affiliation
- purpose(s) for attending the conference; and
- a clear statement of research interests and their relation both to conference participation and the field of music theory in general.
- Applicants shall include a short curriculum vitae (no longer than two pages).
- Students must also submit a letter of support from one of their major professors. The professor should email the letter of support directly to SMT’s Executive Director.
- To apply for a travel grant, please fill out the online Travel Grant application form. You must log in first in order to fill out this form. If you are having trouble with the online form, please email the Executive Director.
- For comments and inquiries, please email the Chair of the Committee on Race and Ethnicity.