This grant is made possible in part by donations from the SMT-Forward campaign.
Please do not register for the conference until you have received notice about the status of your application.
The SMT Committee on Race and Ethnicity administers the Minority Travel Grant to encourage diversity at the Annual Meetings of the SMT.
- Applicants need not be SMT members.
- Preference will be given to students and junior faculty (in that order).
- Financial need and research interests within the field of music theory will be used to evaluate the applications.
- Only those who are citizens of, or are currently residing in, the US or Canada are eligible.
- Individuals who self-identify with a race or ethnicity other than 'White' are eligible to apply.
Typically up to 7 grants are made, with a maximum award of $400, plus complimentary conference registration.
To apply for a travel grant, please fill out the online Minority Travel Grant application form.
Applicants are asked to provide the following information:
- name, address, telephone, e-mail, and academic affiliation
- purpose(s) for attending the conference; and
- a clear statement of research interests and their relation both to conference participation and the field of music theory in general.
- Applicants shall include a short curriculum vitae (no longer than two pages).
- Students must also submit a letter of support from one of their major professors. The professor should email the letter of support directly to SMT’s Executive Director.
For comments and inquiries, please email the Chair of the Committee on Race and Ethnicity.