(0.4 fte / 16 hours per week)
The Composition theory teacher teaches classes in the core subjects (Analyses,
Harmony, Counterpoint) which are part of the curriculum of the Composition bachelor
programme. Besides teaching duties, he/she is actively involved in curriculum
development and teaches theory from the perspective of a composer.
The teaching takes up primarily 34 weeks between mid-September and the end of June,
apart from the autumn, Christmas and spring holidays and the exam period.
Music Theory Teacher:
• has a Master in Music Theory as a minimum qualification;
• has fluent spoken and written command of English and is a team player;
• has excellent knowledge of music of the last 100 years, is familiar with
composition processes and has didactic skills;
• can convert ideas and insights of music theory into the practice of lessons and
• is open to educational renewal and is prepared to take an active part in
• has the mindset of a researcher and is capable of linking his or her vision on
For more information about the position please contact Martijn Padding, Head of the
Composition Department: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application letters accompanied by a
CV can be sent to: email@example.com up to 1 may 2020.
An initial selection will be made on the basis of letters submitted. Selected candidates will
have an interview with the appointments committee and will be asked to give a test lesson
for students at the Royal Conservatoire between 15-23 June 2020.
The starting date of the appointment is 1 September 2020 with an initially contract for one
year. The remuneration is in accordance with scale 11 of the collective agreement for the
Universities of Applied Sciences. The actual salary depends on background, qualifications
and experience. Wide opportunities for personal development in the form of enhancement
of expertise in the national and international context will be available.