The Music Program at the University of Illinois Springfield invites applications for a new Instructor of Music position beginning August 16, 2020. The UIS Music Program offers a Music Minor, the Camerata Scholarship, Performance Ensembles, and Instrumental Instruction.
Teaching expectations: Lower and upper level courses in Musicology and Music Theory, and Chamber Ensemble.
1. Teach two undergraduate music courses each semester
2. Teach two ensemble-related “courses” each semester
• Chamber Ensemble Coaching and supervising of Camerata Students
• Assisting the Director of UIS Music with administrative duties including: overseeing Camerata students, supervising student workers, advising students, student outreach/recruitment, publicity
The successful candidate will participate in program building with the goal of recruitment and expansion and eventually building a music major.
UIS faculty are expected to be available and engaged in the campus community to perform professional responsibilities as assigned.
1. A Doctorate of Philosophy in Musicology/Music Theory or a Doctorate of Musical Arts
2. A strong record of success in teaching at the university level
3. A record of/potential for success in instrumental instruction/chamber ensemble coaching
4. Evidence/promise of successful publication and/or performance activity
1. Evidence of successful undergraduate teaching
2. Willingness to teach in the UIS online curriculum
3. Evidence of success with organizational/administrative tasks
To Apply: Go to: https://jobs.uis.edu/job-board and create or update your profile, complete the online application, and upload a cover letter addressing the responsibilities of the position, current curriculum vita, a teaching philosophy, unofficial/official graduate transcript, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three professional references. Only those applicants who complete the online application and upload all required materials by the March 25, 2020 application deadline will be considered; incomplete applications will not be evaluated. To maintain the integrity and confidentiality of the search process, applicants are asked to upload their own materials. Formal review of applications will begin March 26, 2020, and continue until the position is filled or the search is terminated.
About UIS: Located in the state capital, the University of Illinois Springfield is one of three members of the University of Illinois system. The University serves approximately 5,000 students in 21 graduate and 31 undergraduate programs. The academic curriculum offers students a strong liberal arts core, a wide range of professional programs, and close faculty interaction. Making the most of its location in the state capital, UIS is broadly engaged in public policy and service. Its diverse student body includes traditional, non-traditional, and international students. Twenty-five percent of majors are in 17 undergraduate and graduate online degree programs and the campus has received several national awards for its implementation of online learning. UIS faculty are committed teachers, active scholars, and professionals in service to society. The University emphasizes excellence in teaching, and faculty are also expected to provide a balance of scholarship and service activities to meet requirements for tenure and promotion. You are encouraged to visit the university web page at http://www.uis.edu and the department web page at http://www.uis.edu/music.