Cleveland State University’s School of Music invites applicants for a non-tenure track appointment as Assistant College Lecturer in Music Theory beginning August 22, 2022. CSU is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. CSU is striving to be a nationally recognized and student-focused public research institution that provides accessible, affordable, and Engaged Learning opportunities for all.
The successful candidate will be knowledgeable in a broad range of traditional Western music theory from the Baroque through the Modern era. Responsibilities will include coordinating the music theory program, teaching the four-semester sequence of Harmony and Form classes required of all undergraduate music students, keyboarding skills,and other related theory courses as required. The position will also include usual university service, including participation in any future curriculum development or redesign.
· Doctorate in Music Theory, Composition, Musicology or Music Education by July 1, 2022;
· At least two years of experience teaching music theory courses at the collegiate level; and
· Ability to teach keyboarding skills.
· Considerable breadth of experience teaching within a theory curriculum
· Experience coordinating a music theory program or developing curriculum; and
· Knowledge of popular music harmony and genres.
Applications will be accepted exclusively online at
https://hrjobs.csuohio.edu/postings/15850 and should include:
· cover letter
· current CV
· unofficial transcripts
· 3 letters of reference
· a diversity statement. Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. Explain your experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s inclusive community. For applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
Mailed or emailed application materials will not be accepted.
Preference will be given to applications received by February 28, 2022. (Review begins 03/01/2022.)
Note: The successful candidate is required to submit an official transcript before their contract can be prepared.
Questions should be directed to Gregory D’Alessio, Search Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of Cleveland State University to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire is contingent upon the maintenance of existing levels of funding from the State of Ohio.
Offer of employment is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check.